Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Snap in flight

I always have my camera with me when I walk by the river but recently I've been walking with it in my hand rather than my pocket because the swans seem to be flying a lot recently and I want to capture them.  Due to their size they make quite a noise when flying which provides a good trigger to get the camera ready and then try to focus on the correct bit of sky.  They also make quite  a splashing noise as the walk on water as they gather speed to take off.

Last week there were several swans who seemed to be flying up and down the river - perhaps they are youngsters practicing.  It did mean that I had several opportunities to capture lift off, flight and the clumsy landing skid.  In amongst the many out of focus / empty bit of sky / obscured photos I did find a set of 4 to share


Big thank you to everyone who is joining in with snap - I do enjoy looking at all your visual sets each week


7 comments:

Maggie said...

Oh well done. I know the feeling of snaps with the desired object absent or blurred. Have tried sports mode and setting the camera to multiple pictures? The beauty of digital is that you can just bin the rubbish! You have done very well anyway. Do you think it is might be part of their courting ritual? Would love to see them.

Jane said...

I love the bottom photo, you live in a beautiful area

Ruth said...

Great set ... that third shot reminds me of Concorde!

Patio Postcards said...

I do not think I have (recently) seen swans in flight. Really great SNAP collection.

alexa said...

You did a great job to capture them in motion - so difficult to snap a bird in flight. You can really see the length of their necks ...

Karen said...

Nice job! I always find photographing birds in flight to be an exercise in frustration, and am always excited when one of them ends up being in focus.

Miriam said...

Oooh! these are nice. Love the first and last. I really love to see a swan fly, after what seems like a huge struggle to get airborne they look graceful again. Perhaps I should learn to fly. Another great set for Snap.